On tooth number 29 I am in the process of redoing a root canal. Tooth number 30 has been extracted about two months ago. On Tuesday my dentist is supposed to put the post in for tooth 29. He left it open for a few weeks . Today I went to an oral surgeon to find out about an implant for tooth number 30 . He looked at tooth 29 and was asking why did my dentist leave it open . He said Shame on my dentist that you are not supposed to leave a root canal open . He said the root canal was not going to last and do not let my dentist post it have him extract it instead. I'm very confused. Someone please offer advise . Thank you

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 03 - December - 2012, at 04:56 AM

•  

It almost sounds as if your dentist did what is called a "open and broach" procedure.  That is when there is infection and they do a mini root canal to drain the infection.But then it is usually closed with a temp filling until it is decided what is next. I am really surprised he didn't put anything in the exposed tooth and or pulp to sooth or protect from any more bacteria to enter. Leaving a root canal open can further lead to infection.For more info,visit the link http://www.identalhub.com/dental-faqs-for-root-canal-treatment--919.aspx

Free Dental Consultation