I had braces before to correct my overbite and other biting problems at the back. Two upper teeth were removed during this process. After the braces are taken off, my dentist told me to go to other orthodontists to see what they could do about my bottom two second molars because they are not entirely out. My dentist suggested a jaw expansion. However, from what I've noticed, I might be a class II profile; my lower first molars bite on my upper second molars. By expanding my jaw and bringing out my lower second molars, will class II profile be fixed? Since two upper teeth were removed to fix overbite, will there be enough space in the upper jaw to bing the lower jaw forward? Are there any other ways to fix this?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 09 - August - 2012, at 01:09 AM

• Here is a treatment regimen for you:

There are further division of class II malocclusin i.e. division 1 and division 2. If yours is class II div.2 then it has to be first converted into class II div. 1 otherwise class II div.2 are not treatable. Then the jaw expansion is done to give the arches proper shape and form. Braces are used to level, align and rotate the teeth. They also brings super eruption of posteriors to overcome the overbite (that you mentioned above). After that a functional appliance is used to bring the mandible forward to convert class II to class I.

Extractions are highly contra-indicated in such cases (unless there is wisdom tooth). Also you can check for any TMJ disorders (which is common in Class II div 2 cases). This can be done by closing the ear canals and then gently closing and opening the mouth. If you hear any clicking sound then it shows that you are having TMJ problem.

For more info you can visit the site....http://www.identalhub.com/dental-retention-and-relapse-934.aspx

Free Dental Consultation