I have a missing lower tooth which caused the upper tooth to shift down. I will have an implant, but my dentist stated the upper will have to be shaved down before the lower can be completed. Are there any alternative procedures for either case so they can chew together ? Sincerely, Mike B.

Leave Comment


  • Dr.Ritz

    Dr.Ritz 03 - October - 2013, at 21:01 PM

  • This happens when the antagonist tooth is missing, the upper tooth tends to supra erupt. Your dentist is right. In such cases the upper tooth has to be grinded to get the proper occlusal. There is no other alternative for that. If it is supra erutped to the extent that grinding can expose it then some times root canal has to be done for upper tooth. Without exam, I cannot comment but if your dentist thinks that shaving off can serve the purpose then you have to get it done. 

Free Dental Consultation