Had a root canal on bottom left molar one year ago, that failed this summer and had an apicoectomy done on that site, that failed and had to get tooth extracted in October. Now I am told I need an implant, and that is scheduled for today but to be honest i would like a break from surgery on that jaw for a while. How long can I wait from extraction time to really needing this implant to be done? If I can wait some time I would rather do that...need advice thanks

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 12 - December - 2012, at 02:20 AM

• Here is some information that may help you clear things up:
    The bone where the implant needs to be placed always resorbs (shrinks) after the tooth is removed, and the greatest resorption occurs the first six months after an extraction.
    The only thing that will keep your bone from disappearing is the roots of a natural tooth, an implant, or grafting the socket immediately after the tooth is extracted.
    It is well documented in the literature that placing the implant immediately after the extraction has the best chance of maintaining the tissues as close to ideal as possible.
    If you have to have an extraction in the smile zone and cosmetics is important, immediate placement is preferred.
    If you choose delayed placement of the implant (sometimes done when there is an active infection) then make sure you graft the socket to preserve as much bone as possible.

For more info,visiit the link http://www.identalhub.com/dental-understanding-dental-implant-bone-grafting-682.aspx

Free Dental Consultation