I have and abscess that has swollen the right lower side of my face. I went to the emergency room last night but they would not drain it. I have been given oxycodone for pain and augmentin as an antibiotic. My question is do I need to have this drained. If it is not drained will this travel to another part of my body?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 27 - September - 2012, at 04:02 AM

•  

Dental Abscess is an infection of mouth, jaw or face that generally begins with tooth infection or a dental cavity. The chief cause of Dental Abscess is poor oral hygiene and not undergoing regular dental checkups.When there is abscess formation, the pus gets accumulated at the site of infection. This brings swelling at the affected region. The preferred treatment for dental abscess is surgical drainage by an oral surgeon.

If untreated, swelling due to dental abscess can block the airways thereby leading to suffocation.The only treatment for dental abscess is getting it drained by visiting an oral surgeon. To prevent pain and inflammation, OTC drugs like ibuprofen can be taken.In cases the abscess ruptures by itself, then don’t panic and rinse the mouth with warm water and allow the complete drainage. Also schedule a visit to dentist.

If the abscess is at the root (seen after an X-ray), then RCT is done to treat the abscess and hence facial swelling.For more info,visit the link http://www.identalhub.com/article_understanding-abscessed-tooth-204.aspx

Free Dental Consultation