I went to a dentist this past Thursday, I need four teeth pulled, I have no abscess on my gums, but my cheek was swollen. The dentist scheduled me for the extractions, this coming Monday and prescribed me 125 milligram liquid amoxicillin, to be taken 3 times a day, one teaspoon each time. Which I have been doing religiously. I know that the swelling is due to the infection and that it should have come down a good amount after a couple of days on the antibiotics, but it didn't. I started holistic treatment in conjunction with the antibiotics on Saturday afternoon and the swelling went down to almost nothing. (oil pulling, black tea compress, yarrow compress, salt water rinses) I stopped the holistic treatment, thinking that now the antibiotics could finish it off now that most of the infection was gone. Last night I had a half hour long period of intense pain in the location of the infected teeth, woke up this morning with my face swollen again. I've been trying to contact my DDS, but their phone keeps going to voicemail, I left one and have called them about 7 times now. I spoke with the pharmacist where I had my prescription filled and she was confused about the 125 milligram dose, saying that was very low. Should I double up the antibiotics until I can talk to my DDS for a stronger or different prescription?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 06 - November - 2013, at 09:49 AM

• You have not written your age. The antibiotic syrup 125 mg Amoxy, is normally given to infants. For adults the dosage is quite high and is almost 4 times the dosage given it to you. However you should not increase it without asking your DDS. If you have swelling and pain then that means you have infection and proper dosage of antibiotics has to be taken for getting the teeth pulled out. Keep doing warm saline rinses and other holistic things you were doing along with antibiotics and schedule an appointment with your DDS asap. for more info on tooth infection you can check this link in our website... http://www.identalhub.com/dental-facial-swelling-due-to-tooth-infection-940.aspx

Free Dental Consultation