I am 35 yo. When I had my panoramic xray at 22 I saw that my upper third molars were impacted, they are horizontally oriented with the occlusal surfaces of the crowns on the distal side of the second molars. My lower thirds are congenitally missing. By 27, I felt my upper right painful for a week or so, I reckoned the M3 was trying to come out of the gums but I didn’t see a dentist. Now, I have had pain again in my upper right and my bite seems different. Also I developed grinding and clenching which I never had before. I am thinking the third molar is the culprit. When I had my xray just now, it showed the M3 already slightly vertical but the crown is still touching my M2. The dentist said the M3 should be extracted but I am not sure whether the M2 has become carious where it is touched by the M3. Can the M2 be extracted and let the M3 erupt fully?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 11 - August - 2012, at 00:31 AM

• What i feel from your case is that the main culprit is M3 so its better that you get it extracted before it starts poking M2. Also there is no such importance of M3 in oral cavity and in contrast M2 is of prime importance. So, extracting M2 and keeping M3 (that too impacted) wont be wise enough. Till the time you are not planned for extraction take care of your oral hygiene by brushing the posterior area properly (as the food tends to collect there most of the times leading to infection) and gargle your mouth twice with anti-bacterial mouthwash. Don't let bacteria or debris collect in that region as it might aggravate the pain and other dental related problems. For more info on wisdom tooth visit the link....http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-wisdom-teeth-47.aspx

Free Dental Consultation