A little info, my canines are just coming in and I am currently 16. I know I am old for having canines come in, but so was every other tooth. So long story short, I went in for the first visit with the doctor that would take out my wisdom teeth. He immediately saw that I did not have my canines in all the way and wanted to cut out the gums around the tooth so that he could place a bracket on the tooth. I mean literally cutting out a chunk of the gums in order to place a bracket on, not just an incision. Anyways, I talked to my orthodontist and he was like, "Meh." Regardless, I want to know if you cut out a piece of gums that surrounds the tooth, will it grow back? This would probably be a piece about .5cmx .5 cm. All help is appreciated. He also said he would clean it out (the area surrounding the tooth) and I am feel like saying WHAT? I have near perfect oral health so there would not be a need to clean out the area as if it was gum disease or the sorts. Having my wisdom teeth taken out on Thursday so quick help is appreciated. Additional Details Further info: The bracket would be used to pull the tooth down into place quicker. I have the same issue on the bottom except it is not exposed and therefore deeper in the gums. For this, he is going to cut it open, put a thin bracket on, stitch the gums up again, the attach the piece of metal that sticks through the gums to the braces to try and pull the tooth into place.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 01 - July - 2013, at 20:20 PM

• Sometimes when the canines are impacted and they are not coming out then part of gum is cut to expose the crown portion of canine so that the bracket can be put to pull the canine out in alignment with the other teeth. By cleaning he must be meaning that he will clean the surface of the tooth which is not exposed by removing the part of the gum. Normally this procedure is done by orthodontist along with the oral surgeon.This is normal procedure used to pull the impacted canines out into the alignment.  for more info on braces you can browse the following article..... http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-braces-21.aspx

Free Dental Consultation