Hi! I had my routine oral exam yesterday. After the dentist examined me, he told me that everything looks great, including the X-ray, but that my lower left wisdom tooth is a bit "crooked". Yet, the dental hygienist told me that I have a 7 mm pocket near my lower left wisdom tooth that could cause problems later on and she recommended that I had it extracted. I will have to remove both left wisdom teeth. My questions are: 1) is tooth extraction my only option? 2) is gum recession reversible? As I felt I was being pressured into scheduling the procedure right then and there, I told them I needed to think about it more. I would greatly appreciate any advice. Best!

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 24 - July - 2013, at 20:37 PM

• If the wisdom tooth is having periodontal problem then it is always better to get it extracted. Normally also wisdom teeth donot help in mastication and if they tend to create any dental problems then patient is always advised to get them pulled out. So in my opinion if you have 7 mm of periodontal pocket in relation to wisdom tooth then get it pulled out.

About gum recession, it depends upon many factors like maintainance of oral hygiene and after care. It can be reversed but if bone loss is there along with gum recession then bone graft has to be done. for more info on wisdom teeth you can check this link in our website.... http://www.identalhub.com/dental-knowing-all-about-wisdom-teeth-719.aspx

Free Dental Consultation