Awoke with pain in my lower left jaw near a filling I had done when I was 17. No sign of an abscess on the outer gums. When I run my tongue or finger along the inside of my jaw, it is quite tender and sore. When I push under my jaw with my fingers I can feel a small lump. So far I have been taking advil for the pain and inflammation. Is this a sign for a root canal or just an infection?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 28 - May - 2012, at 23:25 PM

• I recommend you to get an X ray done as the exact diagnosis can be made after looking at an X ray only. Pain under the filling is a sign of infection. So, there might be chances that the infection is developing inside the filling due to which the jaw is tender and sore.

Along with advil you should also take an antibiotic (amoxycillin) that will reduce further infection... and don't poke that area as it can lead to further infection and damage to adjoining soft tissues....for more information you can visit the link...http://www.identalhub.com/dental-types-of-tooth-pain-after-dental-filling-814.aspx

Free Dental Consultation