I have been having pain in the gum below the very last tooth on the left side of my face (it is on the tongue side). I had a dentist look at it today but he did not seeing anything. On further examination on my own I worked my finger lower down the gum line (kind of hard because the tongue gets in the way) and felt a tiny pin-size hard protrusion. Almost like you would feel when a nail get pounded too far into a board and barely comes out the other side. This appears to be at least a part of the cause of the pain, although the gum in that whole area is sore, especially when eating. Any thoughts on what this could be? I wish I had noticed it before my dentist appointment so I could have shown him. Thanks!

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 31 - August - 2012, at 23:40 PM

• There can be many reasons behind the swelling but what i feel from your description is that the swelling is MUCOCELE (though it requires a clinical examination). 

Mucoceles are lumps formed as a result of saliva the escapes into the tissue from damaged salivary glands (minor). They are translucent and bluish grey in color. The main cause is trauma. Usually they burst down but if not then requires surgical removal under local anesthesia.

The bump in the gum can be hard or soft swelling. They are usually related to infection due to adjacent tooth. It is advised to see a dentist for clinial evaluation and correct diagnosis. For more info on intra oral swellings you can visit the link...http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-gum-diseases-9.aspx

Free Dental Consultation