I had a root canal done three days ago but I am still in pain. The pain seems to be moving and getting worse. At first, a day after, I felt pain around the tooth in question and the jaw as well (left side). A day after that it was worse, and the jaw was sore to the touch. Almost like a bruised feeling. Today, it started as an earache and now has moved to my left temple. Lots of pressure. My left temple, left jaw, left ear, behind my left ear, and my left cheekbone are all sore. This can't be normal can can it?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 20 - March - 2013, at 20:37 PM

• If you have pain even after a week of root canal treatment and it is still increasing then that means the tooth is still infected. For this you have to go to your dentist. He will examine. Sometimes pain is there because of high filling also after RCT. If it is so then dentist will adjust the filling and you will be comfortable but if it is due to still infection in tooth then root canal filling has to be removed and after proper cleaning it has to be done again. So visit to dentist for this.

• Maria

Maria 20 - March - 2013, at 16:08 PM

• I roots canal done a week ago and I still have severe pain in my jaw and pain is now extend To my ear. My mouth and jaw is very sore. I'm Taking pain pills, but pain still there & getting worse. Looks like a sore around tooth.

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 17 - March - 2013, at 08:40 AM

• After root canal treatment, it is normal to have pain for 3-4 days and the tooth is settling down. This is most common in single sitting root canal treatments. You can wait for a day or two for the pain to subside. You can take some pain killer tab also. But if it does not subside and keeps on increasing then may be the infection is still there and for this you have to see your endodontist who has done the root canal treatment. He will do exam and if he thinks that it is still infected then he may remove the old filling and after cleaning will do the filling again. So keep following all the post op instructions and meds given by your dentist. For more info on pain after root canal treatment you can check this article..... http://www.identalhub.com/dental-pain-after-root-canal--914.aspx

Free Dental Consultation