3 years ago I had a root canal and a crown placed on my #31 tooth. Unfortunately at the time, even though I suspected that the crown was poorly fitting, I neglected to see my dentist until last week. My crown came loose and it came completely out of my mouth along with what seems like the "buildup" that was down inside the tooth. I have an appointment for 2 weeks from now to get the tooth extracted, as what was left of the original tooth has decayed so badly that it cannot be saved. Should I try to get an earlier appointment? Is the tooth at risk of infection even though it had a root canal? I stuck the crown back in there after cleaning it and I have a bit of a foul taste and slight pain coming from the tooth. My main concern is with an infection before I can see the dentist, how likely is this? Thank you!

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 14 - August - 2012, at 09:52 AM

• If the crown has come out with filling then chances of infection are there. If you can reschedule the appointment and get it extracted asap, it is better. You are feeling slight pain and foul taste that means that the tooth is already infected. So till you get it extracted, maintain good oral hygiene. Do warm saline rinses and avoid eating from that side. For more info on tooth infection under crown you can read this article.. http://www.identalhub.com/dental-dental-crown-for-tooth-with-large-cavity-902.aspx

Free Dental Consultation