If the disc is dislocated due to prolonged dental procedure (wisdom teeth extraction) rather than stress or bruxing will a custom made night guard do any good to get disc back into position? I've been using splint for 7 months and not eating any hard food. Condition is not getting worse but clicking didn't stop. What other treatments should I try before going for surgical route? By the way my pain is manageable.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 03 - October - 2012, at 23:17 PM

• There are various ways to treat TMJ disorder or dislocation and it is usually based on how severe the case is. We always try to manipulate the pad back into position or use available treatments that will help the pad slip back into position. The use of a medications such as a mild muscle relaxer and an Ibuprofen are helpful especially when they coincide with the use of one or more of these: night guard, splint, hot moist compresses and exercise or manipulation which are all common treatments. With some patients after trying everything surgery is the only option. Discuss what your options are with your dentist. This may be the best you will ever get or you may be a candidate for surgery, he will be able to instruct you based on your progress and what other options you might need to try first.There are several things that you can do to reduce trauma to the joint or possibly having the disk slip out of place again and I'm sure your dentist can offer you more advice when you see him. Anyone with TMJ disorder should never: chew gum, eat ice, eat hard candy, overly tough meats that require excess chewing, open their mouth too wide when biting into foods or open too wide when yawning. You should always remember to wear your splint and be conscious of clenching or grinding your teeth, these can only add additional stress to the joint.For more info,visit the link http://www.identalhub.com/article_what-is-the-treatment-for-tmj-disorders-196.aspx

Free Dental Consultation