Hello, It's always been a bit embarrassing with my teeth. I want to give a full timeline of how and why my teeth are the way they are. When I was a teenager, I had a basketball accident when a crooked tooth of mine got caught on the hoop's net and it got ripped out. I went to the dentist and after about a week or so they gave me a partial with the missing tooth in front . I always brushed me teeth and cleaned the partial retainer, after a year I had a random snowball hit my mouth and it broke the partial. I went back to the dentist to get a new one and they had to re-make the partial 3 times to finally get it looking right. This is about when I started to brush my teeth a lot less, but always cleaned the partial tooth I had. After a couple years passed I stopped brushing my teeth entirely and I became a heavy smoker, but always cleaning the partial. Then around 21 years of age I had another accident at a lake and lost my partial in the depths of the water. I never went back to the dentist after that. During that time my bottom wisdom teeth have been hurting and became sensitive. I am now 29 years old, still haven't brushed my teeth and always had this missing front tooth and still a heavy smoker. Now have have 4 upper teeth rotting at the top, below the gums (kind of where the partial sat in the roof of my mouth) and I have 3 wisdom teeth that are also rotted. The funny thing is, I don't have bad breath.. Maybe because I smoke? Anyway, I understand my mistakes and I know it's my fault my teeth are like this, but it's simply the fact I could never afford the work that needed to be done on my teeth. Since I haven't brushed my teeth in so many years and some of my teeth are so bad, would brushing now make it even worse? A couple top teeth and my 2 bottom wisdom teeth throb constantly and I'm always in pain. I take IB Profin daily.. I'm just looking for advice on what to do, or what a next step would be that wouldn't cost me so much money to fix it. Any advice/suggestions would be very helpful. Thank you for your time. Kind Regards, Randy Hoffman

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 07 - June - 2012, at 21:48 PM

• I would first suggest you to visit a periodontist and get your professional cleaning done. After that go to prosthodontist for missing teeth. You can either go for bridges or implants. Implants are usually suggestive in case your alveolar bone is beak but if it is strong enough then bridges will do...

For pain due to wisdom tooth, the first thing to be done is to get the X-ray done...If the wisdom tooth are in allignment than you need to take special care of them and if they are out of arch then it is advised to get them extracted.

Here are few tips to  maitain good oral hygiene...It all depends upon your brushing technique...you should atleast brush twice daily. Before brushing floss each tooth properly, than with soft bristles tooth brush gently rub covering tooth and gingiva in to and fro motion. After you are done with all this, to end with you should do mouthwash gargles...for more detailed info on oral hygiene you can read an article given in the link....http://www.identalhub.com/dental-dental-care-for-smokers-772.aspx

Free Dental Consultation