I had a filling on my right lower molar three months back. Three days ago I developed a throbbing sharp pain lasting for up to a minute with various spells. The pain used to vanish immediately after putting water in mouth and aggravated by hot food and liquids.I rushed to orthodontist yesterday . He took an X-ray which was not conclusive for root canal therefore he opened my tooth drilled and cleaned it and put the temporary filling. Since than I am managing pain with ibrufen prescribed. Though the pain is not throbbing but is persistent with inflammation. Please advice if I need root canal or the tooth is yet to heal after procedure of filling if so when will I come to know whether I need root canal?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 20 - February - 2012, at 09:07 AM

• All your symptoms like pain after taking hot food and vanishing with something cold indicates that you have irreversible pulpitis. In such cases you have to go for root canal treatment as the pulp is inflammed and it cannot be healed. In initial stages of pulpitis there are no xray changes in the tooth and it is difficult to diagnose and to decide whether to go for root canal treatment or not. Only syptoms are the deciding facotors. so in our opinion you have to go for root canal treatment to save the tooth. for Root Canal treatment you will need an Endodontist or you can go to a general dentist also. For more info on cases where root canal treatment is necessary you can read this article... http://www.identalhub.com/article_why-is-root-canal-treatment-rct-required-299.aspx

Free Dental Consultation