2 weeks ago I had an abscessed tooth. I went to urgent care and started antibiotics. It took a few days to get in to a dentist. The tooth was on the lower right side. He convinced me the teeth on either side of the problem tooth should be pulled along with the bad one. That was 7days ago. I have had NO problems from the extraction sites. They are healing well and don't hurt and no swelling. However, my jaw joint is very sore and wont open. Im not very concerned with that. But my chin and half my lower lip never "woke up" from the shots. With the numbness I am getting tingling, itching, some pain and shocks. The numbness seems to extend to the gums in the front and those front teeth are KILLING me. I have ibuprophen and the Tylenol 3 the dentist prescribed. I went back to him a few days ago. He saw me for all of 45 seconds and said it would be fine I a few days. No concern the meds arent helping the pain. No explanation or advice. There has been no change and I am miserable. I have read this could last years... Im terrified and don't know what to do. I don't have dental insurance. Whats your advice? Can my doctor treat my nerve damage? Can I do anything to ease the symptoms? Help!

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 14 - May - 2015, at 20:50 PM

• Sometimes this happens after tooth extraction. Normally this nerve damage is temporary and it recovers in couple of weeks but sometimes it can take few months depending on extent of damage. This is the time taken for the infection to suside and nerve to regenerate. This depends on each individuals reponse. So you have to bear with it. Till then maintain good oral hygiene. For more info on complications after tooth extraction, you can check this link in our website.... http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-tooth-extraction-27.aspx

Free Dental Consultation