I'm in my 40's and had all 4 of my wisdom teeth extracted 5 days ago. While extracting one of the upper teeth, the dentist accidentally tore a 1 inch long laceration through part of the gum and part way up the roof of the mouth in the area adjacent to the tooth. He stitched the wound up but I am concerned for the long term health of the gums surrounding the adjacent tooth. The laceration basically goes right up to the neighboring tooth, and for the time being has created a sizeable "gap" in the gum surrounding the tooth. Assuming that infection is avoided, will this laceration heal properly and will the afore mentioned gap in the gum close up? The wisdom teeth were removed in the interest of preserving the health of the surrounding teeth and gums, so I am more than a little distressed over the longer term implications of this injury to the adjacent tooth and gum. My dentist said the bone surrounding the adjacent tooth is healthy so the wound should close up fine. Still, there is a pretty good gap in the gum that has been created and I'm worried it will not close up. Thanks for any advise.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 28 - April - 2015, at 20:19 PM

• Your dentist is right. If the bone is healthy around the adjacent tooth then this gum will heal and there will not be any problem in future. However still till the gap is healed, you have to be very careful about oral hygiene. So maintain very good oral hygiene and get the follow up checkups done. Basically this problem is there if during healing infection is there. It may take around 3 weeks to 3 months for complete healing to occur. For more info on tooth extraction issues, you should browse this link in our website .... http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-tooth-extraction-27.aspx

Free Dental Consultation