I have an infection above my top right molar. I have been to 2 dentists here and they cannot figure out the source of the infection as the tooth does not have a problem (no cavity). I have been on antibiotics and pain killers for almost 2 weeks (including 4 days of injections) and it does not seem to be diminishing. The dentist told me I need to get that tooth pulled on Saturday. I am worried about whether that is the right choice.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 27 - March - 2013, at 20:33 PM

• The infection in the top molar can be due to cracked tooth or it can be because of sinus problem also. In these cases it is difficult to diagnose the cause of infection. In your case it looks like it is a cracked tooth which  is quite diffcult to figure out if you donot have any cavity. The infected tooth can be treated by root canal treatment if the crack line is not vertical. You can discuss this with your dentist and if the tooth can be saved then go for root canal treatment otherwise you have to get this tooth extracted. For more info on cracked tooth you can check this article... http://www.identalhub.com/article_signs-and-symptoms-of-the-cracked-tooth-206.aspx

Free Dental Consultation