So I went to the Dentist to get a root canal done because I had an abscess tooth. When the dentist was working on my tooth I started to bleed so bad that my dentist could not get it to stop for a while, eventually he stopped it. During the whole time he was working on it I was in pain even with the numbing shots. When I got home I was in severe pain I had pain killer but it was so bad I almost went to the ER. The next day when I woke up my mouth was swollen. I was in less pain then the night before. But later my mouth started to hurt my gums are swollen again. I don’t know what to do and I am afraid that my swollen gums could be filled with blood and pus. What should I do?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 01 - July - 2012, at 23:38 PM

• Dear NIT,

The first thing to be done is to get an Xray done to see the amount of perforation. If it is not large enough then i would suggest you to initially go for a temporary filling and wait for the repair work (remineralization). If you feel pain even after temporary filling then plan a visit to dentist and RCT is the ideal treatment else after the repair work is done which usually takes 15 days, go to the dentist and get temporary filling done.

• Nit

Nit 29 - June - 2012, at 03:54 AM

• So what happens in case the dentist has perforated the tooth.is it safe to proceed with the root canal treatment when there is perforation? What might the dentist do in this case? Thank u

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 04 - April - 2012, at 08:51 AM

• if there was profuse bleeding during the root canal procedure then either the tooth was badly infected with lotof pus or your dentist has caused the perforation. It is better you go to the dentist and get the examination done and if needed take the antibiotics. For more info on root canal procedure you can visit the following link....http://www.identalhub.com/article_how-root-canal-treatment-is-done-298.aspx

Free Dental Consultation