Hi I have a badly broken upper 2nd molar which I think was filled also. I have about half of the tooth still above the gumline but on the broken portion some of the break is slightly below the gumline. There is absolutely no pain involved so obviously no exposed nerves or root problems. I have been advised the only solution is extraction, which I am reluctant to have unless there is absolutely no alternative. Is it possible to save the tooth by just filling (sealing) the area without necessarily building up the crown in the normal manner. ? Thanks

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 23 - February - 2012, at 09:05 AM

• If you really want to save the tooth then you have to go for Root canal treatment as it seems that a lot of tooth structure is lost. If tooth structure is less then along with crown lengthening, you can go for post and core and above that crown will be put. As tooth is broken you  donot feel any pain as drainage is already there but when filling is done you may have pain and swelling if proper treatment is not done. So go to dentist and get xray done and if possible then get Root canal done and get crown along post and core or get the tooth pulled out and go for dental implant. For more info on root canal you can read this article.. http://www.identalhub.com/article_why-is-root-canal-treatment-rct-required-299.aspx

Free Dental Consultation