I had a tooth prepped for a crown 7 weeks ago. The temporary was left on for 4 weeks, due to the crown having to go back for more porcelain build up. I did not experience any pain on the tooth with the temporary. Even when the temp came off during that period, I could brush it with electric toothbrush. No sensitivity at all. When the new crown was finally placed, there was an immediate pain on one spot upon dry fitting. Cemented the tooth and that spot has continued to ache. The ache will go away if I do not chew on that side of my mouth. It has been 3 weeks now, and if I chew on that tooth it will ache for hours. Please let me know what you think. I have been in for evaluation. Was told the crown was probably irritating a capillary and that I should give it 4-6 weeks to turn into itself and that it would build dentin around itself and heal. Does that sound feasible? Thank you.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 12 - April - 2012, at 11:36 AM

• If you have pain after getting the permanent crown and that too after chewing then that means either the crown is high or it is impinging on the gums. If the crown is high then your dentist will adjust the occlusion by selective grinding and if it is impinging on the gums then that can also be adjusted but you have to go to the dentist and get the diagnosis made. For more info on dental crowns you can visit the following link....http://www.identalhub.com/article_problems-after-crown-placement-272.aspx

Free Dental Consultation