Hello, I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed on November 20th. My lower left area from the removal site became infected. The doctor cut the site open drained/rinsed it and put me on 300mg of Clindamycin Qty of 28 pills taken 4 a day till all taken. I took my last pill Monday. Went back into the oral surgeon because of serious drainage and swelling again he cut it open/cleaned it out and told me do everything as normal. Now I am on Amox/K Calv 875-125 tab 2x a day Quantity of 14. Will this antibiotic be enough to heal? Should I be rinsing with saline and what day should I start rinsing? I'm afraid this antibiotic may not be strong enough. Should I get a second opinion? Who should I go to and where? Please help me. I have been running a fever of 101 for over a month now and the oral surgeon said it was not related to the infection in my mouth. My mom made him take an another xray and she did not see any tooth fragments? Please help Christmas is almost here and I'm tired of being sick. Thank you.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 20 - December - 2012, at 03:46 AM

•  

Infection is one of the possible complications after removal of wisdom teeth. In rare cases,there might be bacterial infection after the removal of the tooth.The common symptoms of this are abnormal swelling, fever,pain, salty or prolonged bad taste in mouth with or without evidence of discharge from the operated site or limited jaw opening.You shouldn't be irrigating the socket in the first place, maybe gentle swishing but nothing vigorous.You can begin a regimen of warm salt water rinses for 5 minutes 4-5 times a day,Also,it is imperative to eat a soft diet of nutritious food. Fiber rich foods, even fiber supplements will help eliminate the toxins from the infection. Drink at minimum of 8-10 glasses of water a day to keep your renal collecting system functioning well... this also helps to eliminate the toxins.Please keep us informed on how you are doing

Free Dental Consultation