My 95 year old mother has had dentures for 40 years (full) She has asked her dentist to re-line them because her bottom rights rub against her gum and it hurts so bad she can't eat, is losing weight and is very depressed. I have never seen her depressed. The dentist told her to get implants and he can't reline the dentures. Are there other options. This is sad. Thank you so much.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 26 - February - 2012, at 20:56 PM

• If the dentures are hurting then either they should be adjusted where they are hurting or should be relined.With time the bone resorption is there and that makes the dentures uncomfortable. In such caseses after assessing the situation either the dentures are adjusted which can be done either by trimming or relining or the patient is advised to go for new dentures. I do not understand why at the age of 95 the dentist has advised her to go for implants. You can take second opinion.For more info on dentures you can visit the following link.....http://www.identalhub.com/dental-does-your-dentures-cause-mouth-pain-584.aspx

Free Dental Consultation