A few months ago I went to dentist with pain. He exrayed and said a different tooth from area I said was the cause and it needed a root canal. Which he did. He treated the area I said was hurting with fluoride (I think it was) to help with sensitivity. A couple months later I started feeling pain again occationally. I ignored it. Now after several months the pain is worse. I went in and he says sometime since my last visit I cracked my tooth the crack doesn't show in xray, but he can feel it. (rare he says in a tooth that hasn't a cavity nor a filling) and the nerve is bad. This tooth now needs a root canal, which he says may or may not be successful. I am asking for a second opinion. I truly like this dentist, but it is a big expense to incur so soon after saying I had pain in that very place. What do you think? Thanks!

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 17 - October - 2013, at 09:24 AM

• If there is crack in the tooth and it needs root canal treatment then prognosis of the tooth depends on the extent of crack and nature of crack. If the crack is verticle involving the pulp then sometimes the prognosis is not good. But if your dentist is hopeful and want to do root canal treatment then you can go for that as it is always better to save your tooth otherwise you will have to get it pulled out and go for the implant or fixed bridge to cover the gap. For more info on cracked tooth you can read this very informative article on our website.... http://www.identalhub.com/article_signs-and-symptoms-of-the-cracked-tooth-206.aspx

Free Dental Consultation