My Dentist says I have an abscess. He said the tooth is dead. I formed a bubble on the outside of my upper number 15 tooth. I believe I caused this by grinding on the tooth. I was never in any pain. My dentist took xrays and probed around the tooth. I looked at the xrays and didn't see any darkness around the tooth. It looked like my other teeth. He said my options were root canal or extraction with either a bridge or implant. He said that root canals don't guaranty removal of all the bacteria. I put a pad saturated with Grapefruit Seed extract on the gum and the tooth started draining (pus)in about 20 minutes. That along with Antibiotics have killed the infection. I am worried about his recommendations as everything feels fine and I am able to chew as if nothing ever happened. Is it possible that I just had a gum infection? It seems to me that he didn't do enough to determine that my tooth is dead. But I'm not a dentist. Any information/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.