I lost a filling and developed some tooth pain after a day the area under my eye was extremely painful. I went to a clinic and they say either pull it or root canal and they drilled it out and temporary filled it. A few hours later one side of my face was swollen badly including directly under my eye and I could barely see the swelling spread to the rest of my face later in the day. I had a large swelling on my gum and when I blew my nose it went down but I have swelling still 3 days later. The pain has been unbelievable and the ER prescribed hydrocodone which barely touched it the clinic did not want to give me anything. I had all my wisdom teeth out years ago and the swelling and pain was not this bad, do you think the diagnosis is correct? Is swelling and pain this bad normal?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 25 - June - 2015, at 20:20 PM

• As you have pain in the tooth followed by swelling in the tooth, which  had a filling before, so it looks like that your tooth is badly infected. So the diagnosis is right. Either you have to go for tooth extraction or get the root canal treatment done if possible. It is always better to get the root canal treatment done as your natural tooth is saved. For this bad swelling and pain, along with  pain killers you need to take antibiotics also. So you have to schedule an appointment with  your dentist and discuss the treatment plan. for more info on root canal treatment, you can check this link in our website.... http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-root-canal-therapy-17.aspx

Free Dental Consultation