For the last few days I've had some pretty intense pain coming from a seriously decayed tooth. Accidentally biting down on it causes an incredibly sharp pain. I also believe that my wisdom tooth is erupting as well. I've had this pain in the same area before a few months ago and it lasted ~3-4 days Due to my current financial situation and lack of dental insurance, I haven't been able to see a dentist. My question is, is the pain stemming from an infection from the decayed tooth or is the wisdom tooth causing it?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 31 - August - 2012, at 23:25 PM

• First let me tell you how to differentiate between the pain due to carious tooth and pain due to wisdom tooth eruption.

Symptoms of pain due to carious tooth:

1. Pain is acute and for brief periods
    2. It is trigerred by specific event like eating anything or drinking too cold or too hot water.
    3. Pain is sometimes dull and throbbing.
    4. If the pain is continuous and piercing then the caries has invaded the pulp.

Symptoms of pain due to wisdom tooth eruption:

1. Pain in the back region of the mouth behind the molars
    2. Pain will never alleviate. It will increase as the wisdom tooth erupts with due course of time.
    3. The adjacent areas will show swelling and tenderness
    4. Foul smell from the mouth
    5. Inability to open the mouth.

So, my take home advise is to visit a dentist and get an Xray done to get the correct diagnosis. For more info on dental pain visit the link...http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-dental-pain-42.aspx

Free Dental Consultation