Thank you for your time. Long story short very bad tooth infe tion took 2 full coarses of amox. Had root canal done by my dentist. Its now 1 month later severe pain is back. Went back to dentist she gave me more antibiotics saying it will be fine. Ifind this hard to believe after hearing the root canal must be redone in order to truly remove the infection..my question to you please is can this be true all i need is the antibiotic? Thanks so much. Wendy

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 12 - September - 2012, at 02:37 AM

• Root canal re-treatment will remove the infection from the tooth and will relieve your pain and discomfort.Root canal re-treatment will save natural tooth structure and traeted tooth can function throughout life.Success rate and prognosis of root canal re-treated tooth is not as good as root canal treatment done for the first time. If root canal re-treatment is unsuccessful, then patient can get endodontic surgery done or can opt for tooth extraction with replacement of missing tooth with dental implants or dental bridge.

In case of root canal failure, 2 options are available. You can either opt for:

1. Non-surgical endodontic re-treatment or can get

2. Surgical endodontic procedure done (Apicoectomy with retrograde filling)

Free Dental Consultation