I had a root canal 2 years ago. The tooth behind the root canal had an old filling and broke off a week after the root canal. Now I have an abscess on the broken tooth. What can I do to get rid of the abscess?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 29 - October - 2012, at 04:16 AM

• Tooth abscess refers to localized collection of pus in the alveolar bone at the root apex of the tooth. In case of abscess, the infection extends from the root apex to the periradicular tissue through the apical foramen.Visit your dentist for clinical examination.Antibiotic therapy,can be started after consulting the dentist to treat the the acute symptoms.Drainage should be established for relief of symptoms more efficiently. Drainage of pus is must if swelling is fluctuant. If the swelling is not fluctuant, moist heat in the form of hot saline mouth rinse should be applied until the swelling becomes fluctuant.Warm saline rinses help in localizing the infection.Fluids intake should be more and you should take proper rest.Once the dental abscess has ruptured or been drained, the prognosis is good for resolution. If the condition is improving, the chance of infection getting worse is rare. For reassessment of infection and taking care of tooth, it is mandatory to have proper follow-up care with your dentist.

For more info,visit the link http://www.identalhub.com/article_understanding-abscessed-tooth-204.aspx

Free Dental Consultation