i had a pain in a molar which had amalgam fillings since last year , is it a symptom that the filling is broken ? & how long the amalgam fillings can live without need repairing & how can i care about it? thanks

Leave Comment

Comments

• Nora

Nora 29 - December - 2011, at 15:55 PM

• thanks for reply & i think the filling is large because a part of molar had broken & my dentist repair it by the amalgam filling , so do you have another advice to me after this additional information .. thanks :)

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 29 - December - 2011, at 00:28 AM

• Pain in molar with amalgam dental filling can be because of secondary dental caries below dental filling or can occur because of chipped or broken amalgam dental filling. Gum infection in relation to filled molar can also lead to pain in the molar. Secondary dental caries can occur because of microgaps which develop between teeth and dental filling and causes microleakage.  Silver Amalgam filling has weak tensile strength because of which marginal fracture of dental filling can occur and cause pain. If filling is very large, then tooth can fracture with dental filling and can cause pain. You have to visit your dentist for evaluation. If marginal fracture of dental filling has taken place, then whole of the amalgam filling will be removed and refilling will be done. If there are secondary caries below dental filling and caries have reached the nerve, then root canal treatment is required. If there is gum infection in relation to tooth with dental filling, then treatment of gum infection is done. Dental amalgam filling can last life long if it is done properly. If there is large dental caries present on tooth, then dental crown should be given on tooth instead of just filling the tooth structure. Dental crown will reinforce the tooth structure and will provide strength to the tooth. For more info on problem after dental amalgam filling, refer to….    http://www.identalhub.com/dental-problem-after-amalgam-dental-filling-805.aspx

Free Dental Consultation